Monday, November 07, 2005

Music and an embarrassing moment


Music is so powerful. It can make you dance, or make you cry. Even Hitler danced to music. Music has the power to move you, emotionally and physically. About a month ago I was driving home listening to my Stevie Wonder CD and I was in a good mood. I was singing and banging on my car door to the music. What fun I was having. Then a song came on called, "Sir Duke." It refers to Duke Ellington, and talks about the power of music. That's when I decided to write a blog about it.

These are the lyrics:

Music is a world within itself
With a language we all understand
With an equal opportunity
For all to sing, dance and clap their hands
But just because a record has a groove
Don't make it in the groove
But you can tell right away at letter A
When the people start to move

They can feel it all over
They can feel it all over people
They can feel it all over
They can feel it all over people

Music knows it is and always will
Be one of the things that life just won't quit
But here are some of music's pioneers
That time will not allow us to forget
For there's Basie, Miller, Satchmo
And the king of all Sir Duke
And with a voice like Ella's ringing out
There's no way the band can lose

You can feel it all over
You can feel it all over people
You can feel it all over
You can feel it all over people

You can feel it all over
You can feel it all over people
You can feel it all over
You can feel it all over people

You can feel it all over
You can feel it all over people
You can feel it all over
You can feel it all over people

You can feel it all over
You can feel it all over people
You can feel it all over
I can feel it all over-all over now people

Can't you feel it all over
Come on let's feel it all over people
You can feel it all over
Everybody-all over people

It is a great song, and I know that you've heard it. It's even better if you can hear it. Makes you think.

I wonder if Osama Bin Laden ever did the Macarana?

Now for the embarrassing moment:

I was taking one of my workers to a job site the other day. He is a black man, and that has everything to do with the story. On the way to work I informed him that I listen to Howard Stern in the morning, when we would be driving home. He said that that was fine because he liked Howard Stern. I thought that that was cool. The next morning on the way home we were listening to Howard and they were playing an old tape of Sam Kinison. The first couple of tapes were funny and we were laughing. The third tape they played was a drunk Sam Kinison yelling at somebody. In the tape he yells, "Get out of here ya damn porch monkey!" I giggled a little because the argument was funny. Plus it was not a right thing for him to say and Howard was trying to stop from throwing out racial comments. Sam Kinison is not a racist, but was in an argument and that came out. Then again Freud could be right. The point is that after a very small laugh, I realized that I was not in the car by myself. There was a black man in the passenger seat. I didn't know what to do. Should I turn the station. Should I talk to him about how fucked up that was. Should I explain to him that I feel uncomfortable, and maybe open up a lengthy discussion about race. I didn't know, so I just sat there staring out the windshield and looking at the radio. I took a quick look at him, but he wasn't reacting at all. The situation subsided and we started talking later about whatever.

It's interesting how uncomfortable that situation was. I know that in a perfect world I would have giggled or laughed a little at the comment. Then again, it's a weird thing that I can be fine with this other human being, and then something comes up like that and it makes you realize that the man is a different color. No matter what they say, I don't think we'll ever be totally colored blind in this world. It would be nice, but it may take centuries.

I try not to laugh at racial jokes, because it makes me less of a man. Although, we all know people that tell racial jokes and we laugh. They always preface it by saying, "Now I'm not racist, but I heard this joke the other day." You used to try to be shocking with Mrs. H. and her husband by saying the N word. I have stopped that recently, but still I snickered at the comment on Howard Stern. It will take some deprogramming, but I think that I can do it.

I can't think of anything else right now. I'll sleep on it and write something else tomorrow.

Mrs. H. figure out what you want to eat.
Diva Princess call me or write me about Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I love you all sincerely.
Have a wonderful day.
Feel the music.
Sing in the car.
Dance at your house.
Do something spontaneous.

1 comment:

Mrs. H said...

Good one- write something I will...
I haven't listened to the whole last audioblgo yet, I had to go to work. I was late as it is.

I don't know when you finally left my house, but thanks for the dollar for my soda - you are such a good sugar daddy.

Hopefully see you tonight then.