Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Awakenings



A very good movie that was based on a true story.

Here's what it was about:
A new doctor finds himself with a ward full of comatose patients. He is disturbed by them and the fact that they have been comatose for decades with no hope of any cure. When he finds a possible chemical cure he gets permission to try it on one of them. When the first patient awakes, he is now an adult having gone into a coma in his early teens. The film then delights in the new awareness of the patients and then on the reactions of their relatives to the changes in the newly awakened.

Now today in the USA Today I noticed this article.

Firefighter dies after return from stupor
A brain-injured firefighter who spoke after a decade in a stupor, giving hope to families of other patients, died in Buffalo. Donald Herbert, 44, was injured in December 1995, when the roof of a burning home fell on him. Deprived of oxygen for several minutes, he ended up blind, was largely mute and showed little awareness of his surroundings. On April 30, he shocked his family with a 14-hour burst of conversation. "He was never as good as he was right after he woke up...but he was pretty good right up to the end," Buffalo Fire Commissioner Michael Lombardo said. Herbert's breakthrough came after his physician began giving him drugs used to treat Parkinson's and other disorders. Dr. Jamil Ahmed said that the medications had shown promise with more recently brain-damaged patients. Herbert is survived by his wife, Linda, and four sons.

First of all I didn't cut and paste that article, I typed by hand from the USA Today. Now the interesting thing to me is that that is just like the exact drug that they used in Awakenings. When you watch the movie you think that these people should be given these drugs for the rest of their lives, but it may have had a slight side effect. I don't know what made Donald Herbert die, but I was thinking that that was so cool that he just came out of it and talked for 14 hours. I don't really have a point, but I thought that it was very interesting. If you haven't seen the movie Awakenings, you should.

Something else that's been going on is my moving. I don't have much to move, but I do have stuff to move. I have been moving little bits at a time, but I have to hurry because I only have until next Tuesday. Another thing that is going on right now is that my car is acting up. Not just the check engine light like it usually is, but the reservoir has a hole in it. My car is constantly getting hot and I have to keep buying antifreeze. It is very annoying.

The other thing is that I am going to be living with Rob. I think that we'll get along and it will be fun, but it's just the fact of getting use to sharing a place again. I haven't had a roommate since 1999 or 2000. I'm sure it will all be fine, but that's what's going on right now.

I have to work tomorrow for 10 hours and then I'm off Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to see some old friends of mine on Friday. I need to hurry up and get the moving done. I also need to go on my trip that I've been wanting to go on. Same shit different day. Hard to save money. I was supposed to be going on May 1st. That doesn't look too likely. I'm in a good mood, but a little somber. Oh well, things will all work out.

I've got my health, my friends, and a good life. Things could be worse.

Sorry that I can't think of much more to write, but that should do you guys for awhile.

Take care everyone, and have a wonderful time doing whatever it is that you do.

I love you all and will write more soon.

2 comments:

Dakini said...

'Hey My Brother'...:P -I always say that in my head sounding like John Cusack talking to his little nephew in say anything.-

Did you see my comment on the post below this one about yoda..freekin trippy.

Yeah I just read about the fireman last night. I was sad to hear that it wore off, and more sad still to learn of his contacting pnemonia.

ummmm...other than that I'm not awake yet. TeeHee...drinking my coffee and chillin before the girls wake up. :P

Mrs. H said...

What on earth were you doing here til 8am? You should have just cut and pasted my friend.